Reducing globals

# Alex Christensen (2 months ago)

I am embarking on a journey to reduce the number of global variables and singletons we use instead member variables on the proper objects. Feel free to join!

Specifically, I’m looking into reducing the number of members in the NetworkProcessCreationParameters structure. Many of them need to go to NetworkSessionCreationParameters instead. Could those maintaining the libsoup and libcurl networking implementations please lend a hand and move the members enclosed in USE(SOUP) or USE(CURL)? I have done similar moves in trac.webkit.org/changeset/238654/webkit and trac.webkit.org/changeset/238630/webkit if you would like a pattern to follow.

Contact us to advertise here
# Claudio Saavedra (2 months ago)

On Thu, 2018-11-29 at 18:15 -0800, Alex Christensen wrote:

I am embarking on a journey to reduce the number of global variables and singletons we use instead member variables on the proper objects. Feel free to join!

Specifically, I’m looking into reducing the number of members in the NetworkProcessCreationParameters structure. Many of them need to go to NetworkSessionCreationParameters instead. Could those maintaining the libsoup and libcurl networking implementations please lend a hand and move the members enclosed in USE(SOUP) or USE(CURL)? I have done similar moves in trac.webkit.org/changeset/238654/webkit and trac.webkit.org/changeset/238630/webkit if you would like a pattern to follow.

Thanks for the reference. I'll have a look at the libsoup members whenever I have some time.

Claudio

# Basuke.Suzuki at sony.com (2 months ago)

Alex,

Got it. Curl port will catch up this move soon.

I just want to confirm my understanding about Network Session. It is pretty similar concept with Cocoa's URLSession, isn't it?

Curl Port uses default NetworkSession at everywhere so that it is almost same with global NetworkProcess. We need to move forward to support NetworkSession correctly.


Basuke Suzuki SONY PlayStation

# Alex Christensen (2 months ago)

On Dec 3, 2018, at 12:55 PM, Basuke.Suzuki at sony.com wrote:

Alex,

Got it. Curl port will catch up this move soon.

Great! Thanks!

I just want to confirm my understanding about Network Session. It is pretty similar concept with Cocoa's URLSession, isn't it?

It tries.

# Alex Christensen (a month ago)

It’s been three weeks. Is anyone maintaining the soup or curl loading code?

# Claudio Saavedra (a month ago)

On Thu, 2018-12-20 at 17:12 -0800, Alex Christensen wrote:

It’s been three weeks. Is anyone maintaining the soup or curl loading code?

I've started on the soup work locally but I've been swamped with other things and now it's time for the holiday break. I'll retake it in January.

Claudio

# Claudio Saavedra (18 days ago)

On Thu, 2018-12-20 at 17:12 -0800, Alex Christensen wrote:

It’s been three weeks. Is anyone maintaining the soup or curl loading code?

If the main concern is the usage of NetworkProcess::singleton(), turns out that in the end this patch is all that is needed bugs.webkit.org/show_bug.cgi?id=193444 to stop using it in the soup code.

Was there anything else that needs cleaning up?

Claudio

# Michael Catanzaro (18 days ago)

This:

On Thu, Nov 29, 2018 at 8:15 PM, Alex Christensen

<achristensen at apple.com> wrote:

Specifically, I’m looking into reducing the number of members in the NetworkProcessCreationParameters structure. Many of them need to go to NetworkSessionCreationParameters instead. Could those maintaining the libsoup and libcurl networking implementations please lend a hand and move the members enclosed in USE(SOUP) or USE(CURL)?
I have done similar moves in trac.webkit.org/changeset/238654/webkit and trac.webkit.org/changeset/238630/webkit if you would like a pattern to follow.

I'll try.

Michael

# Michael Catanzaro (3 days ago)

Sorry again for the delay. I've started here:

bugs.webkit.org/show_bug.cgi?id=194075

That covers the first two out of six parameters. I'll do CookieAcceptPolicy next, separately, since it requires modifying cross-platform stuff to do properly. And then the second half.

Michael

Want more features?

Request early access to our private beta of readable email premium.