WebKit position on Wake Lock API

# Thomas Steiner (2 months ago)

Hello WebKit Dev,

Following Maciej's invitation to send requests for positions on API proposals to this very mailing list, I would like to gauge WebKit's position on the Wake Lock API: bugs.webkit.org/show_bug.cgi?id=205104. Nota bene, this is an API that is potentially useful for a "document web" even, not just an "application web".

Thanks, Tom

Contact us to advertise here
# Maciej Stachowiak (2 months ago)

Is there a Blink Intent thread currently running on this or about to start? And do you happen to know if there is a Mozilla standards-positions issue on this? (We like to take into consideration whet the other browser engines are thinking.)

# Ryosuke Niwa (2 months ago)

On Wed, Dec 11, 2019 at 11:42 AM Maciej Stachowiak <mjs at apple.com> wrote:

Is there a Blink Intent thread currently running on this or about to start? And do you happen to know if there is a Mozilla standards-positions issue on this? (We like to take into consideration whet the other browser engines are thinking.)

mozilla/standards-positions#210 is Mozilla's standards position issue.

# Thomas Steiner (2 months ago)

The Intent to Experiment thread is here: groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/forum/m/#!msg/blink-dev/nrDKOvVl_I4/yNYZOwJ1EQAJ

On Wed 11. Dec 2019 at 22:08 Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa at webkit.org> wrote:

On Wed, Dec 11, 2019 at 11:42 AM Maciej Stachowiak <mjs at apple.com> wrote:

>

Is there a Blink Intent thread currently running on this or about to start? And do you happen to know if there is a Mozilla standards-positions issue on this? (We like to take into consideration whet the other browser engines are thinking.)

mozilla/standards-positions#210 is Mozilla's standards position issue.

On Dec 10, 2019, at 11:46 PM, Thomas Steiner <tomac at google.com> wrote:

Hello WebKit Dev,

Following Maciej's invitation to send requests for positions on API proposals to this very mailing list, I would like to gauge WebKit's position on the Wake Lock API: bugs.webkit.org/show_bug.cgi?id=205104. Nota bene, this is an API that is potentially useful for a "document web" even, not just an "application web".

Thanks, Tom


webkit-dev mailing list webkit-dev at lists.webkit.org lists.webkit.org/mailman/listinfo/webkit-dev


webkit-dev mailing list webkit-dev at lists.webkit.org lists.webkit.org/mailman/listinfo/webkit-dev

--

Thomas Steiner, PhD—Developer Advocate (blog.tomayac.com, twitter.com/tomayac)

Google Germany GmbH, ABC-Str. 19, 20354 Hamburg, Germany Geschäftsführer: Paul Manicle, Halimah DeLaine Prado Registergericht und -nummer: Hamburg, HRB 86891

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE----- Version: GnuPG v2.1.23 (GNU/Linux)

iFy0uwAntT0bE3xtRa5AfeCheCkthAtTh3reSabiGbl0ck0fjumBl3DCharaCTersAttH3b0ttom. hTtPs://xKcd.cOm/1181/ -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

# Ryosuke Niwa (2 months ago)

We'll be discussing this internally at Apple but since we're heading into the holiday shutdown, we probably won't be able to get back to you until sometime next month.

  • R. Niwa
# Thomas Steiner (a month ago)

Recipe sites have started to use this: twitter.com/ChromiumDev/status/1215343114166185985.

# Thomas Steiner (4 days ago)

On Sat 21. Dec 2019 at 02:18 Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa at webkit.org> wrote:

We'll be discussing this internally at Apple but since we're heading into the holiday shutdown, we probably won't be able to get back to you until sometime next month.

Hello Ryosuke,

Have you or someone else from the team had a chance to look at this? Please note that we’re currently exclusively look for the “screen” wake lock case, not the “system” case.

Thanks for a short update in advance.

# Ryosuke Niwa (2 days ago)

On Tue, Feb 18, 2020 at 5:23 AM Thomas Steiner <tomac at google.com> wrote:

On Sat 21. Dec 2019 at 02:18 Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa at webkit.org> wrote:

We'll be discussing this internally at Apple but since we're heading into the holiday shutdown, we probably won't be able to get back to you until sometime next month.

Hello Ryosuke,

Have you or someone else from the team had a chance to look at this? Please note that we’re currently exclusively look for the “screen” wake lock case, not the “system” case.

I'm still soliciting a feedback.

For now, I can say we're very much concerned about any impact on battery life since that's no.1 thing our users care about. Since even a few percentage point of battery life regression would be a major concern, there needs to be extraordinarily good reasons to add this API; I just don't think any of the use cases listed in w3c.github.io/wake-lock/#introduction are compelling enough to meet such a standard.

  • R. Niwa
# Thomas Steiner (2 days ago)

all,

I'm still soliciting a feedback. >

Thanks!

For now, I can say we're very much concerned about any impact on battery

life since that's no.1 thing our users care about. Since even a few percentage point of battery life regression would be a major concern, there needs to be extraordinarily good reasons to add this API;

As pointed out earlier, there is a workaround of playing an invisible video to keep the screen awake, and people are (ab)using it: mozilla/standards-positions#210 .

This proposed API could be a proper way of having this feature, allowing user agents to display appropriate indications (see blog.tomayac.com/2018/12/18/experimenting-with-the-wake-lock-api/#closing-thoughts for my ideas).

Since the screen is visibly on, the impact on battery life is very tangible; since there's no hidden background activity or anything that an app couldn't do anyways. Actually, iOS has started to show (add to home screen) Web.app activity in the Battery stats, so users can even trace battery consumption back to web apps.

I just don't think any of the use cases listed in w3c.github.io/wake-lock/#introduction are compelling enough to meet such a standard.

Looking at the screen wake lock use cases:

I'm biased, but all of those sound compelling to me.

Want more features?

Request early access to our private beta of readable email premium.